Annie Award Nominations – Overly Animated Podcast #281

Dylan Hysen and Sam Quattro discuss the nominations for the 44th Annie Awards, breaking down each category.

Dylan Hysen, a software developer from the DC area, hosts the Overly Animated podcast discussing everything animation.

1. Steve November 29, 2016 at 10:08 pm

I am disappointed with no Steven Universe, well at least the shows nominated are actually good, they are all good, Steven Universe is better than them but still, at least something like Spongebob isn’t nominated in its place.

Also if I had to put a Nickelodeon show, I would take out Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles not that is bad or anything, take that out and put Loud House in its place. The Loud House deserves some love, you have to see the Christmas episode “11 Louds A Leapin” that was so brilliant. If you have time see the Christmas episode.

I have be meaning to. Bojack Horsemen since I saw Nostalgic Critic do a video on him, though he has not done a Steven Universe vlog in like forever, so I might not just to spit him. LOL

Anyway great podcast guys.

• Dylan Hysen November 29, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Thanks! Yeah Loud House remains at the top of my list if I add another animated show, probably Bojack 2nd.

• Steve November 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Well the Christmas show I can not recommend any higher, though if you start out with the Christmas show, you won’t appreciate it as much, because there is a big game changing moment in the Christmas episode that if you are not familiar with the show you might not notice it. It was something all Loud House fans were excited for and thought would never come, for me it is was like when Yellow Diamond first appeared in “Message Received”. Though I think I gave it away with that comparison.

• Steve November 29, 2016 at 10:28 pm

One more thing I forget perhaps like you did with Star, except for the Christmas episode and 2 other season 2 episodes that aired a few week ago, Loud House is entering season 2, it is going on hiatus and will come back in 2017 and that will be the new season (even though three season 2 episodes has aired), so like with Star you can start with the new season if you want to add it.

• Dylan Hysen November 29, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Yeah seems like this month will be a good time to get caught up!

2. Max November 29, 2016 at 11:42 pm

I don’t know that the Oscars are better then the Annie’s. Academy members have admitted to not watching all the movies and that they just vote for the Disney one. Some members just vote for the one their kids like. As for who vote for the Annie’s, they have to work professionally in the animation field and pay membership fees.

• Max November 29, 2016 at 11:51 pm

And I wouldn’t trust the Oscars or the Emmys so much. The voters are all madeup of people in the movie or tv industry and most the time they just vote for their friends.

3. Max November 29, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Basically all awards shows suck. At least the the Annie’s how people from the animation industry voting.

4. Max November 30, 2016 at 12:44 am

5. Max November 30, 2016 at 1:28 am

Just so you know, I’m not defending the Annie’s. Like I said all awards shows suck. But the idea that the oscars are better is stupid.

• Dylan Hysen November 30, 2016 at 9:13 am

Heavily disagree and if the annies are all animation industry people then they’re not different than emmys or oscars. I think if you look at the oscar animation nominees as a whole over the past few years they’re trending in the right direction. The winners I agree could use some work, but as a whole I think that category is more representative of the best animated films than anything nominated here. If the Annies really are a good sampling of the industry then maybe in theory they’re better but just being voted on by some amount of industry members doesn’t ensure the best anything as we see from a lot of these awards. (Oscars and Emmys are also industry people and the ones voting for animation for them are in theory animation people too I believe)

• Max November 30, 2016 at 6:11 pm

I get what you are saying, but Academy members have came out as saying that they think animation is kids stuff and that they don’t watch it. Like I said I’m not defending the Annie’s.

• Dylan Hysen November 30, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Yeah and it’s a good point. I don’t think they speak for all who vote for the animation oscars, and like I said I’ve liked their recent nominations, but yeah let’s stop those people from voting in these things.

• Max November 30, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Yeah. Anyway good talk. I think we can all at least agree that there is room for improvement in all awards shows.

• Max November 30, 2016 at 6:17 pm

And yes there are animation people in the the other awards shows, but they are far outnumbered by live action people who have admitted to not caring.

• Dylan Hysen November 30, 2016 at 6:18 pm

I do think the emmy and oscar animation awards voting are limited to the animation group members within each larger body. Could be wrong.

• Max November 30, 2016 at 6:22 pm

I know that’s not true of the oscars, they can vote in any category. As for the emmys, I don’t know.

• Dylan Hysen November 30, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Ok I just looked into this. Nominations are limited to each categories’ branch, winner voting is open. So only animation people can vote for nominees but anyone can vote for winner. That explains a lot as to why the nominees have been satisfying but the winner is always a big budget movie.

• Max November 30, 2016 at 6:37 pm

That does explain a lot.

• Max November 30, 2016 at 6:42 pm

And that probably wouldn’t be a problem if the voters were required to watch a everymovie nominated .

6. Alex November 30, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Real talk:

I’m a sadist, and I want to see one of your four-way panels trying to skirt around vulgarities while attempting to discuss Sausage Party.

• Dylan Hysen November 30, 2016 at 6:30 pm

lol, probably impossible to do a G rated sausage party podcast.

• Marcus December 1, 2016 at 12:06 am

You guys should still totally podcast on it!I’d pay good money to listen to that

• Dylan Hysen December 1, 2016 at 8:08 am

lol k, lots of support for a sausage party podcast. I’ll look into it.

7. Garfield December 1, 2016 at 10:57 am

Very disappointed SU was totally shut out, there were more than enough aspects of the show for considering (you could nominate the entire VA cast for an award for example).

But solid mentions for Gravity Falls finale and Bad Jubies. Really liked those episodes.