State of SU (Steven Universe Roundtable #15) โ€“ Overly Animated Podcast #252

Dylan Hysen, Delaney Stovall, Sam Quattro, and Michelle Anderer discuss the current state of Steven Universe as a whole and of specific plot elements, coming off of months of new episodes.

1. Steve September 22, 2016 at 9:07 pm

We nee more Lapis and Peridot episodes and less of the towns people. I care about Lapis and Peridot a lot more than most of the towns people.

• Dylan Hysen September 22, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Definitely agree.

• Tyrone Wells Jr. September 23, 2016 at 9:07 am

We need more towns people eps exactly for this reason. :/

• gurrenprime September 23, 2016 at 11:26 am

Quality over quantity. So many normal-person-focused episodes just feel like filler, which makes it hard for me to get into them. And filler isn’t inherently bad, but it’s not good at getting people invested in characters who aren’t important to the plot.

• Tyrone Wells Jr. September 23, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I call it investing. There’s no stakes in saving the Earth if we don’t care about the Earth and it’s inhabitants.

• Dylan Hysen September 23, 2016 at 4:32 pm

I’d say each Onion episode is making me care about him less and less :p

• gurrenprime September 23, 2016 at 10:47 pm

That’s what I’m saying though: these filler episodes are doing a bad job at making me invested in the normal people. If they played a bigger part in the overarching narrative, then I’d be more invested in them. But as it stands when I see that an episode focuses on them, my mind immediately goes to “well this episode won’t be important” and starts to kinda tune it out.

• Tyrone Wells Jr. September 24, 2016 at 7:18 am

Hm… so you’re saying that because there’s no contribution to the strict overarching narrative, it’s harder to pay attention to when new episodes comes out. Alright, I think we’re both saying that we like both but enjoy the plot-focused episodes more. But would you like to know what I find especially enjoyable about these slower episodes ? I like how I can watch them after a large plot revelation and find easter eggs that basically point to the same event. Like seeing the diamond authority logo go from the four system to the three system triangle based on ruins that were built later than others helps to put a time stamp on things. There’s so many other sort of easter eggs that adds a gravity falls nature to the show and helps to fill in details/discussions that wouldn’t have time in a regular plot heavy episode. Every time I see a new angle of the temple, I make a mental note. Every time Lion perks his ears in a conversation when Steven and Connie are messing around becomes a bit more deliberate. I like how Sour Creme is into music because he looks up to Greg in a pseudo father-figure sense way… and I suspected that was the case before Greg the Babysitter, so that softer revelation was just as satisfying as any other major plot bomb. ๐Ÿ˜›

2. Tyrone Wells Jr. September 23, 2016 at 9:06 am

Really glad they didn’t blow up Beach City.

• Dylan Hysen September 23, 2016 at 10:01 am